Monday, March 11, 2013

Really? That's the Prize??

I don't know how you feel about the musical Les Miserables, but I just love it.  It's such a classic tale of repentance and the good that one person can do in a truly destitute world.  Unfortunately, I've never seen it on Broadway.  It's on my bucket list to actually see the production one day, but for now, I've been settling for the anniversary videos and the soundtrack. 

So clearly, I was excited when I heard that they were going to do a movie of the musical.  I scoured the web for information and anxiously awaited the trailers.  This was going to be a big deal.  With hundreds (and probably thousands) of other people, I was eagerly on the lookout for the announcement of the cast.  Would Alfie Boe bring his role to the big screen?  Who would play Fantine?  What about Marius?  They needed GREAT actors and actresses.  Good just wouldn't do.  When I finally found out about the casting, I was amazingly discouraged.  Anne Hathaway?  Hugh Jackman?  It must be a joke.  Sure, they could sing okay, but we needed MORE from these roles and I didn't think much of those choices. 

But then I saw the film.  I was blown away by the adaptation to screen.  These people really could act!  While I still thought the roles of the Thenardiers were miscast, I'd been completely won over by Anne Hathaway.  Her performance brought me to tears.  I immediately decided that she needed an Oscar for that performance.  When she won that coveted award, I couldn't have been more pleased.  You'd have thought for a moment that *I* won the Oscar!  But no, that is one award that will never be placed on my shelf. 

When you think of an award, you think of a prize that is desirable... something you want.  Who wants to fight to win a box of earthworms?  No, we want something special.  Something appealing.

When I was at a recent women's conference, we sang a worship song that had me very puzzled and uncomfortable.  We sang, "Jesus, you have won me!  You have broken every chain with love and mercy."

Wait a minute.  He won ME?  Me??  Really?  That's His prize?  After everything He went through, surely there would be a better prize. 

I didn't like the song.  I even felt like it was sacrilegious!  It was obscene to put ourselves up on a pedestal as a prize for the Maker of the universe... the Savior of the world.

I am not a prize.

But isn't that the point?  Jesus endured the cross for one reason.  To win us.  To win me.  He looked down the track at that finish line and saw me.  Surely, He second guessed Himself, right?  He must have been disappointed to see what He was struggling so hard to win.  But that's not what Scripture tells us.  In Hebrews 12:2, we see that He endured the cross for the JOY that was set before Him.  Joy.

I am His prize.  He HAS won me.  Surely there is love in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment